500 years of building history come together at the site of Moreton Corbet Castle in Shropshire. Around 1100 the Torets, a family of Saxon descent built the first castle here which passed by marriage into the Corbet family, who gave their name to the village and still own the castle today (although it’s managed by English Heritage now).
When you approach the ruins today, the distinction between the medieval castle ruins and the remains of the later Elizabethan house is more than obvious.
Whereas the first castle buildings were built of timber, from 1200 on they were gradually replaced in stone. Many alterations were made until in the late 16th century Robert Corbet decided to build a new mansion, continued by his brothers after his death.
16th century gatehouse, the entrance to the medieval building, with the remains of the great tower or keep on the right.
Sir Andrew Corbet’s monogram above the date 1579 and the family crest
Inner courtyard with the gatehouse
Front of the later Elizabethan house
Another monogram, probably Robert Corbet, on the Elizabethan mansion
It’s amazing how much detail survived all those centuries
Chimera on the west corner
West front bathed in the evening sun. In the background are the ruins of the medieval castle’s former great hall. The fireplaces and doors to the latrines are clearly visible.
View from the Tudor great hall towards the Elizabethan house
East front and an overview of the whole size of the Elizabethan manor